Placement & Registration
After the Office of School Choice Runs the Lottery
1. Placement notification will be sent by mail and/or email during the month of May 2020.
2. Parent/Guardians must accept/decline the placement by doing one of the following:
- OR Complete and return the placement response form that you received by mail by the date specified in your letter and return to:
Hartford Public Schools
Office of Enrollment & School Choice
960 Main Street, 1st Floor
Hartford, CT 06103
- New or returning students must register at the Office of Enrollment & School Choice located at 960 Main Street, 1st Floor, Hartford, CT 06103.
- Current Hartford District students that received a new school placement for the 2020-21 school year, should register at the new school.
Parents should be prepared to bring the following documents:
- Birth certificate
- Photo identification of parent/guardian and legal guardianship document (if applicable)
- Proof of Hartford residency (utility bill or lease/rental agreement)
- Updated physical exam form (blue form) & Immunization records
Magnet Schools and the Open Choice program is a separate lottery run by the Regional School Choice Office (RSCO). A placement may be offered at a Magnet school or a non-district school through the Open Choice program in addition to the Hartford District school placement offer.
- If you received an offer by RSCO and you do intend on accepting this placement you must decline the Hartford District school placement offered by the HPS Choice Office.
- If you received an offer by RSCO and you do not intend on accepting this placement you must accept the Hartford District school placement offered by the HPS Choice Office.
- If you have already accepted your Hartford District school placement but will enroll in the magnet or a non-district school through the Open Choice program, please contact the Office of Enrollment & School Choice at (860) 695-8876 and request a change to your placement status.
- If your child was placed on the RSCO magnet or Open Choice waitlist and was placed in a Hartford District School you should accept the placement at the Hartford District school offered by HPS Choice Office. The RSCO's placement is not guaranteed. If you do not accept your placement in the Hartford school your child will be considered as not requiring a "seat" at the district school. If it is later determined that placement is needed at a Hartford District School, your child will be placed at a school with available seats which may not be the school assigned by the lottery.