The Application Process
What is the HPS CHOICE Guarantee?
- HPS District Choice Guarantees that a student in a transitional grade will be placed in ONE of the FOUR school options selected on their application. This guarantee does not apply to any magnet schools, non-transitional grades or to families who arrive after the lottery period has closed.
- RSCO Magnet School lottery does not guarantee a seat at a magnet school. Therefore Hartford resident families must complete the HPS District Choice Application to ensure that the student receives a seat at an HPS school they are a transitional student (entering or in their last grade).
Remember: lottery information is not saved from year to year so if your child is in a transitional grade or you wish to explore other opportunities, you must apply annually.
Let's get started!
- Have a conversation with your child about his/her interests and talents
- Go to www.smarterhartford.org to see the school options within your home zone
- Get to know your school: attend a School Fair, School Open Houses, "Get on the Bus" high school tour, or Community Technical Assistance session
- Have your child's PowerSchool Student ID number handy. Contact your child's school to request the student ID number.
- Begin your application at https://hpschoice.com/apply/. To complete the application, parents will need the PowerSchool ID number and date of birth for each child.
Where can I find the Hartford District Choice application?
The application for the 2018-19 Hartford District Choice Lottery can be found and completed online at https://hpschoice.com/apply/.
Where can I find Information on the Choice Application Process?
The Office of Choice and the Welcome Center stand ready to assist! Assistance is also available:
- Online - Check out the on-line tutorial that will guide you through the easy steps to apply!
- Events & Technical Assistance - See Calendar of Events for listing of dates and times. Ongoing Technical Assistance sessions are held at libraries and schools.
- At your child's school - Each school has trained staff to assist you.
If I applied last year, do I have to reapply?
Yes. The lottery is conducted on yearly basis; last year's application information is no longer valid. Remember, if your child will be starting a transitional grade (PK4, K, and 9) you must apply.
How many schools must I select for my child?
Four (4) school options must be selected in order for the application to be considered complete. Parents are encouraged to select choices within their Home Zone as transportation may not be provided for school selections that are out of Zone.
How do I know which schools are in my Home Zone?
Visit www.smarterhartford.org to find your home zone and a list of schools in your zone.
Can I submit changes to my Hartford Choice District Application?
Yes. Changes can be made throughout the lottery application period of November 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018. You must log in to make the changes to your application. Notification of changes will be sent via email.
Are you in the right place?
If applying to the Hartford District Choice lottery you made it! Click here to apply. If you are looking into other options such as Hartford magnet or open choice please visit www.choiceeducation.org.